1.26.2010

Getting Schooled


In loo of grading papers (also my excuse for being delinquent on my postings), you are getting "schooled"! Here are the top five errors that were the most common. Here we go...

1. Their car is located over there. There are two different ways to spell it, and the two ways have different meanings! Know them well and use them correctly!

2. Y'all is a contraction of "you all", which means that it is not spelled ya'll or yall. Y'all should know this by now if you are living in the South!

3. Do NOT throw in a semicolon to separate two complete sentences. One of the papers I graded was completely comprised of run-on sentences! A sentence that takes up four lines is absolutely unacceptable (and unclear)!

4. Spell out small numbers. There is no reason why a writer should have to write a "2" instead of "two". It's short anyways!

5. Number 4 brings me to my next point. "It's" is a contraction of "it is". "Its" (no apostrophe) is the possessive form of it, which means it should only be used to tell the reader that "it" has something.

Hope this helps!!

1 comment:

  1. I love you! You're going to be the best little counselor ever!

    ReplyDelete